We Buy Houses Scams In Warner Robins, Macon and Perry and How To Avoid Them
Have those advertisements for people saying, ‘we buy houses’ caught your eye and made you question whether they are we buy houses scams? This is a very real concern for people considering this kind of service.
Trying to sell your house fast in Warner Robins? My name is Chris Peisher and I have been buying house in Macon, Warner Robins, Perry and the surrounding areas for nearly 13 years. When you see those signs on the side of the road, or see the ads on the bill boards do you think about a problem house you have that’s been bugging you? Are you concerned that you might get taken advantage of or have the wool pulled over your eyes?
Join the club.
The traditional way to sell a house is using a real estate agent and having them list your house.
Maybe you would rather skip the hassles and sell to a LOCAL cash home buyer instead. I live in Bonaire right off Highway 96 and Feagin Mill Road. You would probably rather deal with someone who pays cash for houses that lives near you, and that you can meet face to face. I can buy your house in Macon, Warner Robins, Perry or the surrounding area for cash. I shop at the same places you do and eat at the same restaurants. Every year, thousands of people sell their homes directly to investors rather than listing with an agent. In fact, nationwide, 5.5% of home sales were to investors according to a report by RealtyTrac.
If you’ve never sold a home before or never sold one without the services of agent, it can be quite scary. It can seem downright overwhelming.
I’m going to share some tips for you to make sure that who you are working with is a legitimate house buyer and not someone looking to scam you. By the end of this article, you’ll be armed with what you need to know to choose the right company to buy your house.
The Sniff Test For We Buy Houses Scams
There are a lot of legitimate house buyers in Warner Robins, Macon and Perry, but there are also some people that are running we buy houses scams. It can be difficult to know which one you might be dealing with.
The stakes are high. People have lost lots of time, money and even their houses to scams run by investors that don’t have any sort of moral compass.
It can be difficult to determine if who you are dealing with has your best interests at heart. Most of the time there are “tells” that will clue you in to their true intentions. These signs can mean you are caught in some of the we buy houses scams being used today.
- Application Fees – If a house buyer wants you to pay them any kind of fees to evaluate your house, run away as fast you can. This person is likely a scammer. Honest home buying companies don’t make money charging application fees. They make their money from buying houses, fixing them up and either renting or selling the house.
- Kitchen Table Closings – If a buyer wants you to sign over the deed to your house anywhere other than an attorney’s office, you’re likely going to be making a costly mistake. Any sale you have should happen at an attorney’s office so that you can make sure the paperwork is handled properly and all liens are taken care of.Please do not mistake this for signing a contract to sell your house. That can and probably will happen at your house. Just don’t sign any Warranty Deeds, Quitclaim Deeds without the services of a real estate attorney or title company.
- Too Much Information is Given – Phony bank statements and pre-approval letters for loans are given without being requested from untrustworthy real estate investors. These investors present these documents to make them appear legit but these documents can easily be faked.This occurs a lot when the supposed “investor” lives in a different city than Warner Robins, Macon and Perry and communicates almost entirely by email. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather work with somebody local that I can meet face to face. Just because they are not local doesn’t immediately make them a scammer, but I sure would rather know who I’m dealing with.
Scammers Don’t Always Look and Act Like Used Car-Salesmen
It’s not always easy to pick out who the scammer is in a crowd.
Sometimes it’s the overly nice gentleman.
Sometimes it’s the straight and to-the-point woman.
Don’t let your guard down just because someone smooth talks you. You need to get the facts about who they are and what they can do for you.
We will discuss exactly what to ask for to determine whether you are dealing with the right kind of house buyer or not later in this article.
It may seem impossible to determine whether someone is genuine or running we buy houses scams…but it’s not.
One way is to trust your gut. If something doesn’t seem right…it probably isn’t.
Another way is to determine whether their actions match their words. Actions always speak louder than words and I’ve found them to be very telling about people.
If a Warner Robins, Macon or Perry home buyer says he or she is going to meet you at your house at 2:00 on Wednesday and they show up at 2:20…they might not be trust worthy. They certainly don’t value your time or respect it.
If they walk through your house and tear it apart with harsh words about the house or your situation, you are probably dealing with someone that could care less about your feelings or what you get out of the deal.
Harsh words about your house are solely intended to force you to lower your opinion of the value of the house. This type of investor may as well be wearing a plaid suit and lots of gold chains. They are worse than a used car salesman…
A respectable and reputable real estate investor will always treat you with respect. They will show up on time and show empathy. When viewing houses, trustworthy house buyers will look for the positive aspects of the house as they know full well they will be making repairs and breathing new life into the home.
How to Avoid These Potential Scams
Do your homework to avoid we buy houses scams.
With some quick research you can easily determine whether somebody has a history of doing what they say. You can also find out if they’ve been in business for a while which shows they are stable and worthy of your business.
Crooks rarely stay in business long and almost always have negative reviews.
- Check testimonials – Be sure to look for online reviews and testimonials for the house buying company you are considering. Any reputable business will have statements from previous customers that can attest to how they do business. You can read dozens of reviews from customers of Mid Georgia House Buyers here on our website. Take a look at them for an example of the types of things you will find for any honest business owner. Every single testimonial on my website is from a real costumer. And we have DOZENS from actual people, not just my wife or friends. I got lazy and stopped getting testimonials for years but the ones you see are REAL customers that dealt with ME, Chris Peisher. They aren’t some fluffed up testimonials for another person in the “group i’m a member of” like some of these guys who just got out of a seminar or online class. These people signed an actual piece of paper at closing where I paid them CASH for a house. These are real customers of mine who wrote those testimonials at the closing table and I can show you the PDF where I scanned the form where that REAL PERSON wrote in pen in their own words.
- Check the Better Business Bureau – The Better Business Bureau (known as the BBB) allows consumers to leave reviews and rate local businesses. You should only work with house buying companies that have a strong rating with the Better Business Bureau.If a company is not rated with the BBB you can not have as much faith in their ability to do what they say. Now I’ll be very honest and say that as a business owner I always, mistakenly, viewed the BBB as a way for grumpy people to vent about being grumpy. So I never applied. However, I have changed my tune and our company applied for accreditation from the Central Georgia BBB in December of 2017. Even though we have had an EXEMPLARY track record with all of our customers for the last (nearly) 13 years, we just never saw the value in applying to the BBB. I’m slow I know. But I realized that my potential customers actually DO search for us on the BBB website. So I’m going to make it easy for them to find us. Mid Georgia House Buyers and Mid Georgia House Sellers, which are the online “store front” names we use for our business are officially BBB Accredited. See for yourself at the BBB website. Feel free to look us up on the Georgia Secretary of State Corporation Search. We incorporated in March of 2005.
- Check how long the company has been in business – Great businesses have been around for a while. According to the Small Business Administration, nearly one third of all businesses fail within the first 2 years. If you find a business that’s been around for longer than 5 years, you can probably bet they are still around for a reason. They probably are doing something right. Mid Georgia House Buyers, Mid Georgia House Sellers, and the parent Company, Private Real Estate Investments, LLC has been incorporated in the State of Georgia as a Real Estate Company since 2005. That means that as of the writing of this blog post, Your Truly, Chris Peisher, has been in the Real Estate Business for nearly 13 years. In fact, I bought my first three rental houses while I still lived in an apartment complex on Watson Blvd!
- Make sure to close at an Attorney’s Office – There is so much legal talk in contracts and deed documents that you simply must have a real estate attorney handle the closing.This is to ensure that everything is done properly.The last thing you want is for something to be done incorrectly that you have to deal with years down the road.You could even run into a situation where you are sued because something wasn’t handled properly.Title companies provide title insurance that will protect you from most of these problems. It’s definitely worth it.
We have used the Martin Snow law firm in Macon, Georgia for nearly 13 years for all of our closings. Feel free to call our primary Real Estate Attorney, Mr. T. Baron Gibson III at 478-749-1715 to check our references.
- Don’t sign documents you don’t understand – This one seems to be common sense but is definitely not common practice. If you don’t understand something, don’t sign it.This is also where a good real estate attorney or title company can be worth their weight in gold. They should be able to break it down for you in layman’s terms so that you know what you are getting into.Great house buying companies will also take the time to clearly explain everything you are agreeing to in a way that makes sense to you. If you find you are working with someone not willing to do that, don’t work with them. Find someone else that buys houses.
When selling a house fast to a local house buying company, you should be aware of the signs of a potential we buy houses scam.
Armed with the knowledge from this article you are much better prepared to find a great house buyer for your house that will treat you with respect and do what they say they are going to do.
If you would like to get a fair cash offer for your house in Warner Robins, Macon, Perry or one of the surrounding areas, do not hesitate to give us a call at 478-953-SELL. We would be glad to answer any questions you have and help you in any way we can.